Thursday, June 23, 2011

Philog @5

When we were discussing privilege in class the sheet that was handed to us was not new to me. I had reviewed and had a class discussion on it some years ago.  Growing up in a white middle class home and community I never thought about what was a privilege.  I lived my life blindly.  After years of being on my own and a single parent of two, I learned the value of education. I found I didn’t have a good enough education that would pay well enough to support me and two kids.  Since I see the value of an education I want my students to understand how important it is. They can achieve anything if they set their minds to it. I want to be there to support and encourage students to go for their dreams. My favorite saying has always been:  Keep Smiling and Reaching for Your Dreams!!!   I want to teach the special education students, they are the most misunderstood student in middle school.  I find that they have been called stupid and so many other names that they have low self-esteem.   I want to be there to support them and show that they can be something.

3 comments:

  1. What are your goals for special education students? Do you collaborate with parents, or are they less involved at the middle school level? What do you feel is a "realistic" expectation of success for special education students? (I realize of course that students are so diverse that a universal goal is not really applicable to everyone)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What type of approach would you take with special ed students? Does it have to be totally different or can you incorporate what you might use daily with regular ed students? How will you bring you uniqueness of being a "white middle class" individual to enhance the education of a minority group?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the fact that you understand middle school special ed students are misunderstood and have alot of self esteem issues is great. Middle school aged children are so unsure of themselves, even when there are not special needs involved. How do you plan on making them understand that anything is possible, even when they have a disability?

    ReplyDelete