Thursday, June 16, 2011

Philog #4

I have submitted answers to the core value questions in my first semester here at CNM. After reviewing them I have found that my thoughts an ideas have changed. Who am I as an educator? I know scared as my students are on the first day of school in a new class. But confident that we will learn new things and explore new worlds.Our minds are the future the past and present. I want my students to feel the life and desire of learning. To be able to do this I must always search for new ways to learn that will inspire my students. we as educators must show our students by example. If we have high standards for them then we need to present ourselves at that level to,  We need to embrace all cultures perspectives and blend them in the classroom.
I grew up in a small military town. The only way out was through education or joining the military.  School was fun most of the time. It never occurred not to go to school but we didn't talk about college. Most girls got married right out of school and started families.  Special needs students didnt attend our public schools. family was from the south so interracial marriages was forbiden and so was friendships. Learning other cultutres were never mentioned or encouraged. Everyone had to conform to what was thought to be right. I found learning new ideas and cultures was not taboo as an adult and I embraced the knowledge of learning. I want all my students to feel the way I do about reading and learning, even though I know that the percentage is low. i will go out there and support my students and try.

3 comments:

  1. What methods might you employ to increase the desire in your students towards reading? I feel we have fallen too far away as a society from reading actual books. What methods do you suggest using to embrace our cultural differences?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested to know in what way did your core values change in a semester? Is this due to awareness around historical views in education? I too have had the experience you described growing up...old ideas around race, religion, gender issues, etc....and ended up exploring in the world with my ideas, desparately trying to shed what I was taught (in a rebellious way!) How did you get to the point to "embracing learning"? Was that an easy process? Did any of your teachers have anything to do with that? Will you have any expectations of your students or let them "rise/fall to their own level"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What subject/grade level are you planning to teach? Your ideas about reading and "new worlds" leads me to believe you are going to teach literature or language. What helped you see that learning and learning about other cultures was a value? How can you bring that experience to your students?

    ReplyDelete