Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Philog #3

When asked “all students were provided with an equal educational opportunity”, what it means to me is:  All students have the ability to go to school and learn the same information that is provided to his or her age group.  The students are given the same opportunity to learn and more forward. Now it comes down with what the students does with this is another matter. If he chooses not to learn then it’s on the student.  It goes back to the old saying “you can lead a horse to water but you ca not make it drink” I want my students to learn if nothing else but how to manage in this world.  They need to be able to read and write, they also need to at least know basic math.  I want my students to go on to college with confidence and pride but we have to be realistic. Not all students will go forward in that manner but I want to try and be the support and inspiration.
My methods will be what work with the student.  Every student learns differently, and I will find what style works for each of my students and have a variety of way to present the materials. I want my students to be creative and know they are safe with their thoughts and expressions. I will create a safe environment, with student decided rules with my guidelines to. There will be a point system or token economy. The methods I will be using ha been proven in the successful BIP programs in Albuquerque. Working with special education every student is a separate case. I can not and will not list the students the same. I will see each student individually and find what they need to feel complete in the classroom and what it will take to engage them. I cannot predict what I will do completely as I have to get to know my student to find their strength and weakness along with their interests and likes.

3 comments:

  1. I like that as a teacher you see yourself as a support mechanism and one who can also give inspiration. I think that would be a comfort to most students as many do not get that in their home environment.

    What is the “same opportunity”? How would that look in a classroom situation with students from different abilities and cultural differences? Do you see yourself having expectations of students?

    I also feel that knowing how students learn is a necessity. I’m curious as to what specific methods BIP uses…token economy? Point system? Student directed rules for the classroom? In your experience do these things work?

    Getting to know students is a necessity to being a good teacher; I like that you included that in your discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you have the philosophy of holding the student themselves accountable for the education that they attain. What possible methods will you employ in helping the students reach their full potential? What outside resources might you utilize? You mentioned a "safe" environment . . . can you elaborate more on that? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a challenge for yourself - excellent post! I think in special education, the biggest challenge is, as you mentioned, being able to effectively teach students who are "not all the same." How do you plan to effectively teach students of possibly wide-ranging abilities in one special ed classroom?

    ReplyDelete